Home Needed For Senior Dog Who Spent 15 Years On A Chain

A special home is needed for a Long Island, New York, dog who spent his entire life tethered to a heavy chain. The dog, a Labrador retriever mix named “Bear,” lived for 15 years outside…his family had obtained him to be a protector of property, not an indoor companion, reported the New York Post. Thanks to the Guardians of Rescue, last week Bear was not only freed from his chain, but the rescue agency also managed to convince his owners to relinquish custody.

Robert Misseri, the rescue group’s Founder, described Bear’s former existence to the New York Post:

“We received a call about a dog in need of a doghouse, but when we got there, it was even worse than that. That’s when we discovered the poor dog had spent his whole life attached to a heavy chain. We knew then and there that we had to do something to make a difference in that dog’s life, and so we did.”

The elderly dog’s life has dramatically changed since he was freed from the chain. Not only has he been bathed and vetted, but he is being treated to doggy adventures that he never could have imagined. Bear was recently taken on a beach outing where he could sniff the salt air, mingle with ducks and seagulls, and put his paws in the water.

He even enjoyed a Puppuccino from Starbuck’s secret doggy-menu, went to a pet store to pick out his own new toy, and gobbled up an ice cream treat. All that is missing from this senior boy’s life is the love and companionship from his very own family.

On Sunday, Guardians of Rescue reminded its Facebook followers that Bear may be free, but he needs a forever home:

Bear is still looking for his new forever family. He spent 15 years on a chain, and it is time this wonderful old dog has a comfy bed, in a warm house with lots of toys and love.

Bear is at the Long Island Save-A-Pet Animal Shelter. On Monday, the shelter wrote:

Let’s help find Bear a home! Bear spent his entire life chained up outside. Our rescue partner Guardians Of Rescue was able to get the owner to surrender him. He lived on a chain outside for 15 years. Please stop in to meet there at Save A Pet all he needs is love

Inquiries about Bear should be sent via email to info@guadiansofrescue.org.

Guardians of Rescue on Facebook here.

Save-A-Pet Shelter on Facebook here.

Guardians of Rescue website here.

(Photos screenshots via Guardians of Rescue FB)

Penny Eims

Penny is a freelance writer who provided content to her National Dog News column at Examiner.com for 8 years. She is a current contributor to Fido Friendly Magazine, as well as a newly formed website, Pet Rescue Report. Penny is married and she has two rescued German shepherds and two kids.

1. Mark says:

Happy to say Bear has been adopted by a fur baby lover. She is amazing and bear will live the rest of his days in doggie bliss

2. Barbara Jill Bernice says:

Hello…if none of the above are able to adopt Bear, please put me on the list. I will love him for the rest of his days. I am a senior with a fenced in yard. I sit other pets and he would be in GREAT company!!! Barbara

3. Kerrie Rank says:

I applied to adopt Bear! I would love to be his mommy and show him what it feels like to be pampered and loved..

1. Steven Latham says:

Hi Kerrie. Please give us any updates. Thank you!!

4. Dori Bloss says:

I would like to adopt Bear. My husband and I saw Lauren Glassbergs piece on Channel 7 and our hearts melted. I am semi retired and my husband is in the vet business so we know how to take care of animals. We live in Garden City so he will have a good home. Thank you.

5. Thea Pappalardo says:

I would love to adopt Bear!! I am going to try sending an e-mail to Guardians of Rescue.

1. Mary-Anne Gross says:

Go to save a pet in Port jeff station. That’s where he is

6. sue lesmond says:

If he could be transported to Australia, I would adopt him to join my many spoilt former death row dogs(fur kids.)

7. Jeannie Taylor says:

I hope that Bear finds a loving home. He deserves it. Senior dogs need love you. God bless you guys. Please keep us updated about Bear,

8. Carole says:

Someone please help Bear find the wonderful loving home that he needs and deserves. No sweet boy should be treated like he has been for all these years. Give him a family that will love and protect him for the rest of his life.

9. Nancy G. Ellison says:

This is a great thing that has been done. Ole sweetheart deserves a home and all the love in the world.

10. Tammy Mack says:

If only I had the money and means to get him here to Wisconsin. I love senior dogs my 2 are 14 and 12 seniors are the best. I will pray for him to find a perfect forever home…

1. Julie says:

Tammy , ask them if they can transport Bear

11. Sloan P. Cowart says:

The Guardians are absolute angels. Thank you Guardians of Rescue for rescuing Bear and all the precious lives you save. Bear has been blessed with the touch of love and kindness of others. I am praying that Bear finds a loving family to give him tne forever home he so desrves. Guardians please keep us updated about Bear. Thank you🙏🐶💕