Photographer Overcome With Emotion At Child’s Response To Her One-Eyed Pit Bull

A Tennessee photographer was recently overcome with emotion during a  photo shoot with a special child and her own one-eyed pit bull, Punk. On March 3, Jamie Muller, of J. Muller Photography, shared her experience on social media.

She explained that this session was special because Punk, a pit bull, doesn’t usually have the chance to interact with people – she wrote, “My dog went with me to a session today. Normal, right? My dogs attend my sessions regularly. Not this dog. Not Punk. My miniature Aussies, the ones everyone ooh’s and aah’s over, are usually the ones who go. Not my one-eyed Pit bull.”

Because Punk has just one eye…because he is large, and because he is a pit bull, people often shy away from him, a fact which breaks Muller’s heart.

She wrote of the first moment that the young girl, whose mother had given the go-ahead for a child/canine photo shoot, met Punk. Muller wrote:

“I heard them pull up. I put him back on his leash and he wagged his tail as they came closer. I held my breath and walked up to them. My dog met strangers today. Would they look at him weird because he has one eye? Would they shy away and be scared because of his size, because of his breed? Would she be scared of him and not want to be in the session with him?”

Adding the heartbreaking reality of past experiences:

“Would his feelings be hurt today, like many other days, because people didn’t want to be around him even though he so obviously was friendly and wanted to just be close to them? Would I spend another night giving him extra love and telling him how good of a boy he is because it breaks my heart too?”

This time, however, there would be no heartbreak…no hurt feelings and no fear. Muller described the sweet interaction between the little girl, and her dog:

“She asked about his eye. She thought he was cute. She laughed when he hit her with his wagging tail. She raced through the field and he so happily ran with her and watched over her while she picked flowers. He sat for her, he shook hands, he took treats so easily from her when she offered them. He posed for pictures, he watched her, he adored her.”

She proudly noted Punk’s response to the child – the touching interaction which was captured in beautiful images, ” Just look at the way he looks at her, see how he watches over her- a complete stranger.”

Muller was able to share her love for Punk with others  – most importantly, she was able to show that pit bulls should not be feared. She wrote:

“It makes my heart so incredibly happy when someone allows Punk to show them that Pit bulls aren’t the stereotype they have. He is the sweetest, smartest, most loving dog you’ll ever meet. These pictures mean so much to me and I hope they impact someone else the same way they impacted me.”

Muller told Shelter Me that Punk is the “middle child” in her family of dogs. Punk is more than a sweet boy, with a big heart – he is also a protective hero. Muller told Shelter Me:

He’s saved his dog sister from coyote by taking on the coyotes, tackling them off of her then chasing them away.

J. Muller Photography website here.

Find J. Muller Photography on Facebook here.

(Images courtesy of J. Muller Photography)

Treat yourself to more uplifting animal stories by tuning in to an episode on

Penny Eims

Penny is a freelance writer who provided content to her National Dog News column at for 8 years. She is a current contributor to Fido Friendly Magazine, as well as a newly formed website, Pet Rescue Report. Penny is married and she has two rescued German shepherds and two kids.

1. Jerry Edelman says:

And this is how we educate people about these amazing dogs. One by one we can share their awesome personalities with people that have only heard the negative stories the media choose to write about. I’ve been spreading the love for over 20 years with the pits I’ve had and as each has passed, their legacies of love and acceptance lives on in the hearts and minds of those who came into contact with them. And those are legacies I will always cherish.

2. Rosalinda Wilson says:

What a wonderful day. A great photo shoot with a child who loves unconditionally. Why do adults have such a difficult time. Pitbulls have definitely been given a terrible name. They are what we make of them. They are loving dogs and should ne treated with kindness. Best of luck for Punk. We own pit bulls and they are the best dogs ever. Wishing Punk many more happy days ahead.

3. Robbie carlisle says:

I love an see he loves her and watchs her.i have a pit myself and have heard it miss Atlanta mae wouldn’t hurt a fly.not unlell you try and hurt me.i would love to see more of him.thank you for sharing.Godbless you both.pits have the biggest hearts

4. April says:

This is so wonderful!! I have a pit bull rescue and he is the most loving most loyal dog I have ever had. He loves so deeply and only wants to please and be right next to people. He is gentle and sweet to all the kids he has met and plays gently with puppies too. He watches over all of our animals – chickens, goats, cat etc. they all love him and he plays and will sit in their field and watch over them. I will always have a pit bull. Thank you for posting this to show the sweet nature of pit bulls.

5. Lisa Blanck says:

♥ ♥ ♥ changing hearts and minds will change their future. ♥♥♥

1. Carolyn says:

So well said…

6. Ann Hovatter says:

I have a Olde English Bulldog one eye removed. They too can be stereotyped. This story warmed my heart. My Cyndi Lou Who is one of the most precious pups God ever created

7. Valerie says:

I had a sweet stray pit bull take up at my home about a year ago.

I have loved many dogs and been loved by them in return, but you haven’t been loved by a dog until you have been loved by a pit bull. <3

8. Wendy says:

I absolutely love this story. Good boy Punk! You keep being the wonderful loving boy that you are and keep spreading positive experiences with people. You are pioneering a new more positive path for everyone like you. Well done, friend!

9. Brian J.. says:

I have my 2 Pit Bull rescues that I love dearly and these are my first “Pit Bulls” and i know i have heard all the negative comments about them but having female Rotty’s for over 25 years i know it is the human masters not the breed this picture show the true essence of the young girls and the sweet nature of the breed wonderful pictures ..

10. Sue Cromwell says:

You are blessed to have Punk. Pits are the unwanted child, unknown child, that waits all day for love. When the love is presented, the child is overcome with feelings of love, trust, and gratitude. You’ll never feel the same about a Pit, once you’ve experienced the love!

11. Elaine Whinston says:

What a beautiful day this must have been. Best of everything to Pubk and his family!

Not a duplicate!